Dance opportunities in Summit County
Here are upcoming and regular events where you can find dancing although you may have to travel some. If you learn of any events that are not listed, please let us know.
What do the Olympics and
Dancing with the Stars have in Common?
If you're a fan of Dancing with the Stars, you may remember Amy Purdy dancing in the final with Derek Hough. She is a double amputee who stole our hearts with her efforts and incredible accomplishments on the dance floor. Prior to that she won a Bronze medal at the Sochi Paralympics in Snowboarding.
She will be joining us on August 16 at the Lake Dillon Amphitheatre from 5 pm to 9 pm for a very special evening of dancing, an inspirational discussion with her where she will take questions from the audience, a book signing and more. You won't want to miss it. Bring a picnic dinner with you. Full details are provided on the event flyer.
Tuesday Evening Amphitheater Dances
Through the generosity of the Town of Dillon, the Lake Dillon Amphitheater will be the site of social dances every Tuesday night beginning June 14 through August 30 this summer. The evening starts with lessons from 6:00 p.m. until 6:45 p.m. and then general dancing runs from 7-8:30 p.m. The complete list of dance styles, instructors, and benefitting non-profits can be found on the Calendar Page.
Admission is free as each night starts with a beginning lesson on in a variety of dances such as jitterbug, blues dancing, hustle, international rhumba and chacha and salsa. Following the lesson, recorded music will be played although on 8/30 the SHS Jazz Band will play.
Dancing to the music of the 1930’s through the 1960’s is open to the general public. If you have a special request, we’ll play it if we have it.
These events are hosted by Summit Swing Dance as an opportunity for small local non-profit organizations to request donations for their causes. Local dance instructors are donating their time so that all donations will directly benefit community non-profits. We hope you will donate generously to some terrific local community groups.
Since dancing will occur on the covered stage, we will dance come rain or shine. Click here for the complete summer calendar.
Amphitheater Country Dances
Country Western Dancing every Wednesday at Lake Dillon Amphitheater. Dance lessons at 6 pm followed by open dancing till 8:30 pm taught by Michael Tex and Sandra DeGarie. These nights will continue through August 31st.
Other Local Events
- August 23 Dillon Amphitheater: Salsa lesson at 6pm taught by CeCe Daniels at 6pm followed by a variety of music to dance to. This is a benefit for Roots Del Mundo.
- August 30 Dillon Amphitheater: Barry & Lind Moore will teach a cha-cha lesson at 6pm. The Summit High Jazz band will provide live music to dance to starting at 7pm. All donations go to the Summit High School Music Department.
- February, 2017: Dancing and Delectables Summit County High School Fundraiser. The final date is TBD but usually in the first week of February
Willing to Travel to Dance?
We are planning on attending these events (click the links for more information):
- September 9 through October 2: Southern Oregon Music Festival in Medford, Oregon
- October 21-23: Rocky Mountain Balboa Blowout in Northglenn, Colorado
- December 3-7: 7th Annual White Christmas Ball, Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport, Broomfield
- February 25-27, 2017: Join us on a Lindy Dance Cruise out of Galveston.
Also, you can check out the Roaring Fork Social Dancers at www.meetup.com for many dance events in the Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction area.
Recurring Dance Opportunities
Outside of Summit County
- Avalon Ballroom, Boulder(see www.boulderdancecoalition.org for more info)
- Tuesday Night Swing- 7:30 – midnight , 6185 Arapahoe Road, Boulder. $5-15 per person.
- Boulder Swing Dance – First Saturday of the month 7:30 – midnight $10 per person.
- Mercury Café, Denver (see www.mercurycafe.com for more info)
- Every Thursday – Lindy Hop Classes at 6pm and 7pm ($10/class) followed by a DJ dance at 8pm for $6
- Every Sunday – Classes at 5:30 and 6:30pm followed by dance with live band at 8pm. Classes are $10/person. Dance is $10/person. Info on classes available at www.denverswingdance.com
- Mile High Social Dances - Offers dances in the Arvada area at two different venues.
- Turnverein Cultural and Dance Center
- Every Friday- Lindy Hop class 7-8pm 1570 Clarkson St. Cost unknown. Dance from 8pm-11pm. Dance admission is $7.
- Every Sunday – West Coast Swing class from 5:30 to 6:30pm Dance from 6:30 to 9:30pm $7.
AFFORDABLE PRIVATE DANCE LESSONS!
East Coast Swing, Lindy Hop,
Charleston, and Balboa Lessons
We teach swing dance lessons privately in our home. We specialize in East Coast Swing, Lindy Hop, Lindy Charleston and Balboa. Because we want to develop a swing dance community in Summit County, we offer lessons at an incredibly low price—only $25 per hour for a couple. We teach at your pace, not ours. Got 2 left feet? We’ve had some success with people who said they had never danced. If you can walk and tap your feet to the music, you can swing dance. Contact us by email at email@example.com.
Country-Western Lessons - LET'S DANCE!
Country-Western DJ & Dance Instructor
Michael (Tex) DeGarie
For More Information
Contact Summit Swing at 970-468-4876 or via email at Info@SummitSwing.org.